Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Russian Tea Cakes


These were my favorite cookies that my mom made at Christmastime! So easy to make but so elegant looking!  It looks like I forgot to take a picture of the final product so you'll have to wait until next year for the reveal haha! Peityn was a big help making these cookies.  She really liked trying to roll them into balls.







Ingredients:
1 c soft butter
1/2 C sifted* powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
2 1/4 C sifted flour
1/4 tsp. salt
3/4 C finely chopped pecans

Instructions:
Heat oven to 400°
Mix together the butter, powdered sugar and vanilla
Mix in the flour.  Add and mix the nuts.
Roll into medium-sized balls.
Bake at 400° for 10 minutes.  While still warm, roll into powdered sugar.

*My sifter broke about 20 years ago so I don't sift.  I know they come out better if you do but they're already so good that it doesn't seem worth the trouble. Grandma used to also make a variation wherein she added a tsp. of almond extract and shaped the cookies into crescents.  Instead of rolling them in powdered sugar, she rolled them in colored granulated sugar. She called them "almond crescents." Stay tuned, next year I'll remember to take a picture of the finished project.

2019 So, I never remembered to take a picture of the finished project! However, here's a picture of Olive and Clara helping make these cookies today...


No comments:

Post a Comment